MILWAUKEE (October 23, 2014)
The groundbreaking EXi engine, from Briggs & Stratton, is the industry’s first mower engine that does not require an oil change. Launching in early 2015, mower owners will finally have a solution to messy oil changes. The durable and reliable EXi will become standard across all OEM partners and mower lines, phasing out the current Quantum engine over the next couple of years. EXi, featuring “Just Check ‘n’ Add”, is made in the USA of U.S. and global parts at Briggs & Stratton’s Poplar Bluff, Missouri plant.
Briggs & Stratton research shows that, from starting to use to maintenance, consumers want easy. EXi is the next generation Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine made for consumers who want easy and expect durability and reliability. EXi is Engines Made Easy.
The engine experts at Briggs & Stratton made significant design changes to the engine in order to provide consumers with a durable, easy-maintenance engine including:
- An optimized combustion chamber for easier starting, more power, lower emissions and improved fuel economy.
- The addition of a radial seal paper air cleaner keeps debris out of the engine, helping to extend the life of the engine.
- A larger fuel neck that is 2x the area and angled toward the operator, which makes adding fuel easier and less messy.
- The use of lighter parts making it the lightest engine in its class for easier maneuverability.
- The addition of the Just Check ‘n’ Add™ feature that means consumers never have to change their oil; they simply need to regularly check their oil level, and add when necessary.
DESIGN CHANGES TO ALLOW FOR JUST CHECK ‘N’ ADD™
There are two major reasons consumers need to change their oil:
- Debris has gotten into the oil, causing it to get dirty
- And through regular running of the engine, the oil heats up, causing it to breakdown and create sludge
The Briggs & Stratton EXi engine uses an automotive style paper air cleaner element that features a press-fit element design to keep dirt out of the engine. An improved oil fill tube with extended flange protects the tube from debris during routine oil checks.
Also, the Overhead Valve Design and the precision controlled manufacturing processes of the EXi engine, and its innovative scroll design and cooling package, means the engine runs cooler with less oil consumption, reducing the oil temperature. And cooler oil means slower decay and breakdown of the oil.
Two torque options available:
- Briggs & Stratton 675 EXi Series, 6.75 ft. lbs. gross torque at 2600 rpm per SAE J1940
- Briggs & Stratton 725 EXi Series, 7.25 ft. lbs. gross torque at 2600 rpm per SAE J1940
- Toro 22” Recycler® All-Wheel Drive Personal Pace®Mower, model #20353,
Available at authorized Toro dealers and The Home Depot
- Craftsman Rear Bag Push Mower, model #37237, and Craftsman Front Wheel Drive Self-propelled Mower, model #37710
Available at Sears
- Troy-bilt Front Wheel Drive Self-Propelled, model #12AVB2A3711
Available at Lowes
- Snapper 21" Self-Propelled Mower 3-N-1, SP70 Model#12A-A2A1707, and
Snapper 21" Self-Propelled Mower 3-N-1 with Rear High Wheels, SP80 Model#12A-VB2A2707
Available at Walmart
- Yard Machines, 21", High Wheel, 3-in1 Push Mower
Available at The Home Depot
Rick Zeckmeister, VP of Marketing and Planning
Carissa Gingras, Director of Marketing Consumer Engine and Service