Briggs & Stratton takes efficiency in manufacturing very seriously. Over the past few years, we have:
- Set goals to reduce energy intensity and corresponding greenhouse gases by 25% in the next 10 years. In the first 3 years of this goal period, we have already reduced energy intensity by 9% (30 million kilowatt-hours), which is equivalent to the amount of energy used by over 2,500 homes in one year.*
- Invested in new technology to reduce waste. For example, a recent effort that we call 'pucking' has eliminated 125 truck shipments of scrap aluminum chip from the installation of an onsite recycling system.
- Reduced amount of water used in our manufacturing operations by 25%, a reduction of almost 20 million gallons per year. Every single Briggs & Stratton manufacturing facility has utilized state of the art technology ensuring consistent compliance with wastewater standards.
- Cut hazardous waste generation by 55% in the manufacturing of our products in the past 10 years.
- Committed to integration of environmental & safety policies into each area of the business by the implementation of Environmental Management Systems. We are also committed to lean manufacturing and performance of kaizen events to drive continual improvement in reduction of the amount of raw material used in the manufacturing of each product.
Read more about our initiatives in our Sustainability Report.